Level2; Generating Ideas for online platforms
Imaginarium Day 1; We are spending 2 days imagining the future of education, with speakers providing 4 inputs, “news from the future” as stimulii. We are starting with Level1 stimulated by stories of children’s democracy at Summerhill school. This post deals with Level 2 The invention of the future (generating ideas for online platforms). My ideas for the future 2021 are here. Here are some other kids ideas.
A brief history of online platforms
1) Is browsing learning? Bernie Dodge; Yes! > WebQuests (the rubric) Start point; set by curriculum, end point by teacher, journey by learning
2) Brokering learning; education professionals must use their expertise of how the education system works to help students negotiate journeys thru learning, I call this “brokering learning”
3) Building online learning platforms; key issues a) resource discovery b) learners as researchers need to evaluate c) a learning netiquette for collaboration d) discussion
4) Discussion Groups need moderating; moderation is the key skill in learning online; online learning needs a) resources b) discussion c) learningportfolio. This builds on Howard Rheingold’s concept of virtual communities
5) Virtual Learning Environment’s developed the online classroom concept, but based on Instructional Design invented by the Department of Defence (PLATO) to train military personal. Widespread use in UK Colleges as the more Moodle developed as a default.
6) Diana Laurillard in Rethinking University Education 1994 proposed a “conversational model” as the basis for Technology-Enhanced Learning Design
7 Learning Resources (catalogued in the National Grid for Learning & YAHOO) evolved into Learning Objects (early apps). Bite-Size learning with “formative assessment” emerged see www.nln.ac.uk
8 Learning Objects evolved into Learning Sequences (James Dalziel) or Learning Activity Management Systems. This allowed for co-creation of learning; teachers could sequence or learners could sequence.
9 O’Reilly announced the (resource-destination) Web had evolved into the (Read/Write) Web 2.0 a system in permanent beta allowing for architectures of participation to be developed by aggregating tools
10. The Read/Write Web allowed for the Read/Write collaborative tool of wiki’s to be developed; Wikipedia emerged as a collaborative resource destination
11. Hyper-fast search (google) meant search optimisation; resource evaluation more important but google skewed by advertising; reputation arrives
12 Some people developed social networks which was a platform (location) allowing a shift to learning being based online; Facebook dating agency for fun, NING for serious collaborative work (Classroom 2.0), ELGG for education-driven portfolio approaches
13 Social tagging arrives collaborative metadata for a collaborative web, delicious
14. Personal learning environments PLE’s, user-generated aggregation arrives; these are the resources that help my learning
15. Open Learning arrives; mostly as a content-push model, such as iTunes University, or MIT OCW lecture notes
16. Smart phones (“my post-modern University” Tony Hall) allowed for portable aggregation, permanent interaction
17. Personal learning networks stimulated by the arrival of Twitter; these are the people who help my social learning
18 Context-responsive learning arrives; open context modelling and augmented reality
19 Emergent Learning puts informal learning at the centre of the learning model
20 Ambient Learning puts cities at the centre of context-responsive learning
21 Aggregate then Curate emerges as a resource aggregation model.
22 Digital Scholar’s can now Co-create Open Scholarship
23 Mind Wide Open – This is your brain on learning…
Beyond the Classroom; “All learning a mixture of theorising and socialising”
Beyond the Web; what we have learnt from working with the participative affordances of the web and new technology is that instead of representational, hierarchical education we need creative, interactive, participative learning. Next we need to learn how to Put Context into Knowledge…
Links; Apologies! Links will be added during the day, this is a mob upload…